What is the Sports Premium?
The Sport Premium is allocated to schools in order to improve the provision of PE and School Sport, and ensure that pupils may lead healthier lifestyles.
What is the purpose of this funding?
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional clubs
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.